The Coronavirus outbreak has gotten exponentially worse over the past few weeks.As of this writing on April 1, 2020, there are over 215,000 confirmed cases of people with the Coronavirus in the United States. As experts have mentioned, the best thing to do right now is to stay inside in order to flatten the curve.
Staying inside, however, can become extremely boring after a couple days. Here are some recommendations on what to do during quarantine!
1) Make a puzzle. Completing a puzzle can be a great way to pass time during quarantine. During the process, you also have the opportunity to spend time with your family. You can choose whichever puzzle design you want and frame it later as a piece of artwork.
2) Complete at-home workouts. It is really important to stay active during this time. Even though it is harder with all the gyms being closed, it is still possible. You do not need much equipment to be able to workout at home, and there are also great videos and tutorials of workouts online. You can find some great workouts here. A workout can be something as simple as going on a walk around your neighborhood or completing a workout routine in your backyard. The important thing is just to stay active!
3) Practice a musical instrument. During college, most students do not have the time or equipment to practice their musical instruments anymore. Being at home provides a great opportunity of being able to practice instruments again. It can be especially satisfying when you perfect a piece. I am currently practicing the “Ballade no. 4 in F minor” by Chopin on the piano.
4) Bake or Cook. Baking and cooking can be a really fun way of passing the time during quarantine. You can find some great recipes for things to make during quarantine here. Your family will be extra happy if you decide to share some of your meals and desserts.
5) Read a book. Right now could be the perfect time to catch up on some reading. Oftentimes, we do not have a lot of time for pleasure reading during the school year. You can find a great list of books to read here. You can also find thousands of eBooks at the CNU library. You can access them here. Select “click here to access the databases link” and go to the “CNU One SearchEBSCO” to access the database.
6) Draw. A very therapeutic activity you can partake in during quarantine can be drawing. There are plenty of coloring books you can buy online or templates you can print. It is a great way to relax your mind and go back to your kindergarten roots.
7) Play board games. Here is a great list of board games. You can find plenty of different board games based on your interests. This is also a great way to spend time with your family and start a little friendly competition.
8) Watch movies and shows. Now is a great time to catch up on your shows or movies that you have been meaning to watch. You can find a list of the top recommended shows on Netflix for the month of April here.
9) Redecorate your room. Currently, we are all spending a lot of time in our houses and rooms. With the amount of free time on our hands, it is the perfect time to redecorate and make your space a place you actually want to spend a lot of time in.
10) DIY. There are plenty of DIY’s (do it yourself) crafts you can make. You can make something to add to your room or make something for a family member. Here is a list of DIY’s.
Although these times during quarantine can be extremely boring, it is extremely important to stay safe and stay inside. We can all do our part in flattening the curve to hopefully make a big change overall.